Your first appointment with us
Let us put your mind at rest – here is an explanation of what you can expect on your first appointment with Townes & Townes.
In a nutshell, your first appointment is an important two-way communication between our specialists and you in order to discover all the concerns you might have about your mouth, whether large or small. While ensuring you are fully at ease, we will conduct a thorough examination and explain exactly where any problem areas may lie.
If you are interested in cosmetic dentistry, we will also have the opportunity to discuss what can be achieved. We will then carry out our full oral examination including any necessary radiographs (x-rays).
At each Examination appointment
We carry out a comprehensive 10 point Oral health check:
- We will check your neck: the muscles, lymph nodes and glands in your neck for signs of disease including Cancer
- We will assess your Jaw joint for health and function. Dysfunction can lead to headaches, grinding even neck pain
- We will take a few pre-treatment photographs to help in decision making and discussion
- We will go through your medical, family & social history and assess any dental effects these may cause
- We will check all the soft tissues of your lips and cheeks, palate, tongue, tonsillar region and the floor of your mouth for signs of disease including Cancer
- We will make an assessment of your bite (occlusion), this is often closely associated with jaw joint health
- We will make a digital record of your teeth and any previous dental work you have had (a full charting)
- We will examine, measure and record the health of your gums
- We will take any necessary radiographs (x-rays)
- We will also, obviously, check all of your teeth and restorations to check for failure, fracture, disease and decay.
Once our specialist team have gathered all the relevant information, we will produce a written treatment plan along with prices and an estimate for when your second visit is needed.